Thursday, June 19, 2008

Take A Good Look....


Seems like it's really hard to get an ACCURATE view of ourselves... Some tend to see ourselves unrealistically by viewing ourselves as a great singer, dancer (ok, you don't think so? hey, have you seen the intro shows for American Idol???? So You Think You Can Dance??? Need I say more?????)...
And others see ourselves unrealistically in a negative way (no? ok, then why are plastic surgeons, diet and exercise companies, shows like "How to Look Good Naked" and so forth doing so very well???)..
Honestly, I don't think one way is better or worse than the other.... maybe both do damage - either to ourselves or to those around us by leading us to disappointment, disilluionment or destructive behavior. As painful as it may be, maybe it is important for all of us to take a step back from time to time and really attempt to view ourselves as objectively as possible.
From time to time, I ask myself questions like:
What kind of person am I?
What kind of friend am I?
Am I the kind of person I would want to be around?
Am I trustworthy and loyal?
Am I genuine and authentic? or do I role play to what is expected of me? or even put up a rejection front?
What lies might I be believing about myself? about others? about life?
Am I peaceful? deep within?
What are the things that I place the most value on?
Where do I spend/invest my time, energy & resources?
Who are my closest friends? Why are we friends?
Can I accept and love anyone, regardless of their demographics, background, lifestyle and decisions, beliefs?
Do I feel a need to compare myself to others? as better? as worse?
Do I have an accurate body image?
Do I accept myself completely - body, soul, spirit, emotions, mind?
Am I aware of those around me? of my purpose(s) in this life?
Have I been able to find my bliss?
Am I balanced? Dogmatic/legalistic? Judgemental? Harsh? Loving? Compassionate?
What are my worries? fears? and how am I responding to them?
What am I like when nobody else is around?
How do I feel when I am alone and quiet?
Just as the image of the cat above is distorted by the software that created it, often our self-images, body images and self-awareness are distorted by our programming and thinking...
affecting the energy eminating from us. I have to stop and reset from time to time - really evaluating where I am and what I am operating from - to be able to move back into seeing who I really am, as my Daddy sees me - as He made me to be....
J/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.